The Autumn Equinox is once again upon us & it is a time to celebrate the balance between Light & Dark. Also known as Mabon or The Witch’s Thanksgiving, It generally falls between September 21st – 23rd in the Northern Hemisphere, marking the middle of the Harvest Season. We can use this time of the changing season to finish up old projects & really get back in touch with who we are, as well as come back to the seeds we once planted for who we want to become, creating plans for your future. the scene of death creeping in serves as a reminder from nature that all things do & must come to an end, so you can also use this season to reinvent yourself. The energy during this time is high & can be drawn to enhance your magick & manifestations. It can also be used to simply give thanks for all of the blessings that have found way to you this year, putting positive vibes & heartfelt gratitude out into the universe, so it may find way to you again the following year. Because this is a time of abundant energy & embracing the change in the cycle of life, you may find yourself inspired in many ways to honor this Autumn Equinox by doing something new.
So here are a few ways you can celebrate Mabon, with loved one’s or by yourself:
1. Start with counting your Blessings. Make a Blessings jar or bowl. Light a pink or red candle to represent love or green for gratitude from the heart & start writing 1 blessing per piece of paper. Give it a kiss and add it to your jar or bowl. The more your write, you begin to visually see how many blessings came to you so far this year, as they begin to pile up. When complete, you can keep this jar as a daily reminder of your blessings & continue to add to it whenever another blessing finds you.
2. Go to Nature and gather some gifts. This is a great season for magickal arts & crafts by candlelight. Whether you are collecting specific items to make unique gifts for loved ones or simply allowing yourself to be drawn to the items around you, you’ll be amazed by your collections when you are done. These findings can also be used to decorate an altar to welcome the Autumn Equinox. Acorns, Leaves, Twigs & so much more can help set the stage for some Mabon enchantment.
3. Enjoy the fruits of your labor & feast. As you take a moment to reflect on all the hard work & efforts you have put in so far this year, make sure you treat yourself to something special, Like an Autumn Equinox Picnic at Sunset. Gather with friends for a Outdoor Potluck Picnic to celebrate Mabon. As you feast on soups, breads & fruits, watch the Sun disappear into the darkness, helping you to better understand the balance within. As darkness comes, add some candles or a string of lights to illuminate your surroundings.
4. Go Apple Picking. Something fun, family friendly & gets you outside enjoying that crisp autumn air! Locate and schedule a play date at a local apple orchard. Spend the evening picking apples & enjoying some hot apple cider. Save a few apples for a Divination spell, baking an enchanted apple pie or for preservation for the coming Winter. Give thanks to the Goddess Pomona, with each apple that you pick, for she is the Goddess of Fruit & Orchards, as well as a symbol of fertility & abundance.
5. Raise the Energy. Since this is a time of great Energy, it is also a great time to hold an ‘energy raising’ drum circle. Gather with like minded individuals and dance around a bonfire to rhythmic beats, in a powerful vibe of laughter, fun, gratitude & love. Let music enchant this sacred spiral dance with any kind of noise that individuals can bring. Shake, Rattle & clap the energy upwards towards a heightened vibration.
6. Honor the Darkness. Though Mabon is a time of balance, Darkness is starting to take over light. So with this we must make peace & accept things as they are. Without darkness we would not have light, this is the balance we must understand dwells within us as well. Find a good clear night to sit in the darkness wrapped in a warm blanket and meditate. Be still with nature & make peace with your own darkness.
7. Create an herbal blend. Drawing inspirations from the season, such as nutmeg, cinnamon, hazelnut, myrrh & frankincense, create a one of a kind herbal incense or potpourri to bless your home & hearth with the spirit of the season. Gift some to loved ones to say thank you for being such a blessing in your life.
8. De-clutter you life. As the trees begin to loose their leaves & shed the dead weight, you should too. Take a second look in your closets, cabinets & drawers & get rid of anything that holds you down & no longer serves you. Remove the extra clutter from your life that might have you stumbling through the darkness of Winter. Allow yourself to start fresh.
9. Since this is also known as the Witch’s thanksgiving, it is the perfect time to Give. After decluttering & downsizing, you can offer some of these items, such as clothing, blankets or furniture to local drives that help those in need. You can also participate in food drives or community service projects that allow you to give back.
10. Hold a ritual. Big or small, with others or Solitary, hold a special Mabon ceremony, to help set your intentions for this new season & help you shift into this new reality. Make sure you allow enough time to prepare, so you don’t feel a last minuet rush or panic & find a ceremony you feel drawn to perform. As you light each candle, give thanks to the universe, acknowledge the coming blessings, find the balance & make peace.